Sunday, November 20, 2005

Mobius Pendants

It was a lovely creative weekend. I had the mathematical inspiration of the mobius burning up my brain, so I fashioned two freeform hollow sculptures of tightly woven fine silver. The first pendant is a sort of cocoon with three apparent openings, but because of the twists in construction, the openings are formed by a single continuous edge, making them one - and by extension, the form is therefore technically one sided. Many spiritual analogies could be drawn from a form like this - the unity of all things, three in one..... In any case, it is very pleasing from both a tactile and visual perspective and its mathematical properties give it added fascination. The second silver pendant is more open, and I will post it as soon as I have a photo done.

No comments: