Friday, February 10, 2006

Ethereal Silver

I was a knitter long long before I began to work with metal, and one of my great delights at present is to dream up new ways to apply this skill in precious metals. My goal is to bring my knitted wire creations to a level of precision and sophistication rivalling that of fiber work. It's a formidable challenge, because metal is inelastic and therefore unforgiving of uneven technique - and mistakes can't be unravelled. I like to stretch plain knitted "fabric" across sturdy frames to create sparkling, ethereal little sculptures, like these leaf earrings. I am also exploring knitted lace patterns - traditional Shetland lace is a marvel of design and craftsmanship, and the idea of interpreting it in silver or gold fascinates me no end. The bracelet above utilizes an openwork lace pattern - I think the pearls complete the "modern Victorian" look perfectly.

No comments: